New York State Dental Association members demonstrate their commitment to quality care through our Peer Review and Quality Assurance Program.
Peer Review provides a confidential, impartial and timely way to resolve complaints about the appropriateness and quality of dental treatment provided by NYSDA-member dentists. All NYCDS members are also members of NYSDA. Participation in this alternative dispute resolution process is a membership requirement.
Peer Review resolves patient complaints confidentially. Neither the process nor its outcome is reported to any outside agency – or the public. Peer Reviews are resolved by a committee of impartial professional peers. Peer Review resolutions are final. Peer Review findings have been upheld by the court, providing the doctor with immunity from subsequent litigation.
A Guide to Peer Review outlines the process a Peer Review case undergoes on its way to resolution.
The Peer Review Manual: PR Manual 2017 -- is the official rules document for the Peer Review process.
Peer Review provides:
- An alternative to resolve complaints about dental treatment;
- An objective evaluation of treatment by a committee of impartial professional peers;
- A refund of fees to the patient when treatment is not consistent with the standard of care.
To be eligible for Peer Review:
- Treatment must be provided by an NYSDA / NYCDS member in a dental office (not a dental school, clinic, or hospital; or paid for by Medicaid or Medicare.)
- Treatment must have been completed within 2 ½ years prior to submission of the Agreement to Submit to Peer Review;
- Dispute cannot have been submitted to or resolved by an alternative mechanism; i.e., collection action, legal proceeding, OPD, etc.
To inquire about filing a Peer Review Complaint, call 212-573-8500.